This homemade vegan cheese sauce is the perfect party food and recipe booster. Whether you follow Whole 30, AIP, or Paleo, this nut-free recipe will delight the healthy crowd. Hidden vegetables fortify the nutritional elements of this handy vegan queso, and nutritional yeast gives it a bold flavor! Sprinkle this oil-free cheese dip over pasta, nachos or vegetables.
I wanted to create a recipe that could be used to satisfy my mac and cheese/nachos/taco cravings while accommodating my family’s personal dietary choices.
Tried to make this dairy-free cheese sauce to use as a component in my Bacon Cheeseburger Frying Pans (Whole30 & AIP). What I didn’t realize is how much I would love all of this on its own (with the chips of course).
After fiddling with the recipe for weeks, I finally finished it. This cheese sauce reheats well, remains thick and creamy, and is almost impossible to mess up.
What to eat with this cheese sauce?
- Swap for dairy-free queso topped with caramelized onions, cilantro and bacon. Dip it with your favorite chips (Toston for Whole30 and AIP compliance!)
- Minced chicken, steamed broccoli and drizzle over white rice.
- Topped with spinach and artichoke with Jackson’s Honest tortilla chips on the side.
- With bacon, hamburger, onion and avocado melted on plantain chips or toast… Check out these bacon cheeseburger nachos.
- As a dressing over your favorite salad. I love to topping my Big Mac salad with this sauce.
- Use as a cheese sauce or base in casserole dishes. This vegan cheese sauce goes perfectly with my bacon cheeseburger casserole!
How to Make Vegan Cheese Sauce
Luckily, this vegan cheese sauce is quick and easy to make. You can have dairy-free nachos at your table in less than 30 minutes! You will need a steaming basket or microwave bowl, a high-speed blender, and all the ingredients.
Start by steaming sweet potatoes. Cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place them in the steaming basket on the stove. This method takes about 15-20 minutes. The sweet potato is fully cooked, but you don’t want it to be crunchy. The fork should be easily pierced, but the pieces should not fall out.
If you don’t have a steamer basket or need cheese sauce, don’t worry! It can be easily steamed in the microwave. Place the chopped sweet potatoes in a large microwave-safe bowl, add a little water and microwave until soft. Microwave for 30 seconds for about 3 minutes with occasional stirring and it worked.
After the sweet potatoes are steamed, put them in a blender. Now shake the coconut cream can so that the cream and water are well mixed. Add 1/2 cup to the blender.
Combine the nutritional yeast and sea salt in a blender until smooth.
And that’s it! Heat the cheese sauce on a stovetop or microwave and serve with chips, toasts, or as a sauce or dressing for other recipes.
Can I freeze vegan cheese sauce?
completely! This recipe can be made in bulk. It can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, and leftovers can be frozen for up to a month.
All you need to do is leave the cheese sauce at room temperature and store it in an airtight container (a storage bag works great for storing these sauces!). When you’re ready to fix your vegan queso, just thaw it in the fridge and reheat it on the stove or oven. Microwave. Soaking in warm water for thawing is not recommended as it may result in uneven consistency.
- Test with a fork to see if the sweet potato is cooked. The fork should poke easily without the sweet potato falling off.
- Doesn’t coconut cream suit you? Coconut cream hardens at a lower temperature. Soak the cans in a bowl of warm water while you prepare the sweet potatoes until they are well mixed.
- Serve as a snack with caramelized onions, cilantro and bacon in a vegan cheese sauce!
Other recipes you may like:
vegan cheese sauce
Start by steaming sweet potatoes. It should be fully cooked, but not crispy. I use a steamer basket to steam the potatoes on the stovetop, but you can also add a little water to a large microwave-safe bowl, add the chopped potatoes and microwave until soft, in 30 second increments.
Before opening the coconut cream can, shake it well to mix the cream with the coconut water in the can.
Pour 1/2 cup into a blender and add the remaining ½ cup sweet potatoes, nutritional yeast, and sea salt. Mix and combine.
Heat the sauce completely over the stove or serve in a microwave-safe bowl.
clothing material: 0.25cup | calorie: 115kcal | carbohydrate: 6G | protein: twoG | province: 10G | Saturated Fat: 9G | salt: 156mg | potassium: 164mg | fiber: OneG | Sugar: OneG | vitamin: 2359UI | Vitamin C: Onemg | calcium: 8mg | steel: Onemg